Brigadier General

World in Conflict Update
Update #001

The update will be released on Monday, October 8th.

This update introduces several new features that allow players to customize their profiles, and it improves the DX10 performance on all graphic cards. The update also includes many smaller fixes, tweaks and balancing improvements.

Units and balancing:
- The fire rate for US and NATO Heavy Artillery has been improved.
- Score for repairing your own repair units has decreased.
- Score for repairing friendly units has been increased.
- The cost for Airdropped Light Tank Tactical Aid is now higher.
- The recharge time for all Airdropped Unit Tactical Aid has been increased.
- The target area for Air-to-Air Strike Tactical Aid has been increased.
- The view range for Airborne Infantry has been decreased.

Server side:
- Players per role cap is now a server setting, default is 4.
- Auto-kick of idle players has been improved and turned on by default.
- Servers can now ban players that have been kicked from the server.
- A limited server admin functionality has been added, you can now kick players and change maps.

Massgate:
- Guestbook, motto and web-link has been added to player profile.
- You will no longer auto-scroll to the end of chat when a new message arrives.
- Winning a game will now increase the score reported to the leaderboard.
- We have updated the description for some awards.

Bug fixes:
- Targeting bug for Heavy Helicopters has been fixed.
- Attack ground directly below Helicopters has been fixed.
- No sound is played when enemy units fire out of line of sight.
- Earning points and tactical aid when losing infantry units has been fixed.
- VOIP does no longer lower volume if VOIP has been turned off.
- Move order on mini-map feature has been improved.
- Killing infantry squad now counts as only one kill in Massgate stats.
- Infantry reinforcement feedback sound is no longer heard by everyone on the team.
- Feedback sound now is now played when Offensive Special Ability order is given instead of delivered.
- Accepted request does no longer give a generic tactical aid output.
- Infantry squads will no longer get de-selected when a member dies.
- Performance on ATI DX10 cards has been improved.
- Performance on DX10 has generally been improved.
- Crater artifacts on ATI cards has been fixed.
- Wide screen is now HOR+ instead of VERT-.
- You can now save replays in the online only version as well.
- Players that get kicked or banned now get a confirmation.
- Added description to flags when choosing faction.
- The artillery warning marker from the US Heavy Artillery smoke screen Special Ability has been removed.
- USSR Heavy Tank now turns turret before firing its special ability.

Other:
- A console command for scaling time in replays and single player has been added.
- You can now use the VOIP outside of team after a match and during loading.

Please note that the following change which was originally in the list has been rescheduled to update #002:
- Infantry does not "fly" into position in houses any longer, they fade.
Мир ~ former community manager ~ massive entertainment

I don't work for Massive anymore. Thanks for the great times!

[Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at Oct 05, 2007 09:47 by [MSV]Mir.]
awesome changes!

YEHA!

well i think if all this works well, we don't need any patches in the future ^^

It's not hiphop. It's electro, prick.

[Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 13:41 by [WiCHQ]Haschbeutel.]

Yay ! That will encourage more players to spam repair vehicles !

Yay ! So I wont be able run away from artillery strike anymore with my infantry !

- The target area for Air-to-Air Strike Tactical Aid has been increased.

Yay ! Thats nice, but cost should be lowered to 6 like Light Mortar Strike/Napalm/Tank Buster ! :)

/sarcasm off

Server side:

And where the hell is team-balance tweak ?? We need it ASAP !

/hug
yay, very nice. i hope it comes today or morning
/me likes
especially that airtoair-TA-fix
Why did the dinosaurs die out? - Because you touch yourself at night!

[Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 13:47 by [WiCHQ]_Dave.]
Hrm, something i think that is missing from this is in game admin commands such as !k nick reason, !b nick reason, !map newmap, and !rehash. Rehash will fix up the server config to take effect on next match if a change has been made. :)

Overall i am pleased by this update by what it seems. :)

[Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 13:47 by WCTR^bctrainers.]
- A console command for scaling time in replays and single player has been added.

I love you Massive

Will it be able to scale the time back? e.g. time.scale -1 ?
- Score for repairing your own repair units has decreased.

I like the idea Massive, but I think it would have been better off just leaving friendly repair alone but still reducing own repair score. Well, time will tell who is the victor of this battle! :P

I love you massive, in an extremely extremely ultra gay way.

- Players per role cap is now a server setting, default is 4.

eww @ do_liberty. Its just going to be 4 air and 4 armor per side, maybe a spare infantry player every once in a while. Until people figure out they can change the role cap, then it will be 7 air and 1 armor per side. Medium helicopter goodness.

Thank you for this, much needed.

- Guestbook, motto and web-link has been added to player profile.

Like the guestbook, web-link is cool, but the motto just screams we are going to be seeing a lot more use of the phrase "All your base are belong to us."

Well anyways, that ends my spree. Love the patch massive, keep up the good work.

The airdropped TA fixes will make a huge difference in low number clan matches. Be interesting to see how it pans out. I hated the TA airdrop spam thing.
THANK GOD (massive) ! Massive please linux server files and i'll drink for your health on next occasion ;) - "Na Zdrowie"
Fix/change that all and i'll drink for your health too :)
very nice changes, keep it up! :)
In soviet russia, soap drops you !
everything is fine but where's team ballance thing? :/
Infantry still seem underpowered and expensive. Im still not too clear on their role in this game.

I thought this first patch may have adjusted their cost or given some other buff to them, or made them harder to see....for guys who prefer to play Infantry it can be very frustrating as the armor/heliocopters is all you really need in WiC.
if artillery reload time means they'll shoot rockets faster, then it's very good news. If they just decreased the time from 1 volley to another, it won't do any good.

Brigadier General

Quote from Goldair:
Infantry still seem underpowered and expensive. Im still not too clear on their role in this game.

I thought this first patch may have adjusted their cost or given some other buff to them, or made them harder to see....for guys who prefer to play Infantry it can be very frustrating as the armor/heliocopters is all you really need in WiC.

Balancing issues can't be changed over night, and we will continue tweaking and fiddling and poking when it comes to balancing.

There will be updates in the future as well, so please help us out by posting feedback in the Balancing Forum. Thanks!

Yea...changes are greatfull. I am looking forward for new patch....But nothing changed with snipers. I mean, it is no real, when one sniper kill all squad during few seconds? Nobody happend this? Even in the forest. But changes looks pretty good, so THANKS to Massive team...

Brigadier General

Quote from [inF]Daunt:
if artillery reload time means they'll shoot rockets faster, then it's very good news. If they just decreased the time from 1 volley to another, it won't do any good.

It's the first option (so good news \o/).

Great work guys, its good to see such great support and understanding regarding issues that the community has noted/voiced.

I hope the DX10 fix is good :)
Good for some, bad for others :)
Yea...forest will be burnt and houses will be destroyd whenever enemy will see occupied building. Maybe infantry could be undetected in the buildings, until they start firing? And the same thing in the forest. ? It is just my crazy idea. Infantry isnt bad, but it cants win a battle, which is pitty.....just infanty = fres meat :-)
Will the update be available as a seperate download, dont have internet at home currently so gonna have to grab it from work.

EDIT: Noticed its not actually available yet so doesnt matter as should have net access by end of week. Still handy to know :P

[Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 15:05 by madmossy (web).]
What does "target ground has been fixed" mean? Hopefilly that doesn't mean you took away my only viable method of dealing with infantry. Their fault for being in an open field.

Also have you addressed the isssue of different types of units not using defensive abilities (infantry dont sprint at the same time, mixed choppers don't use flares at the same time)
I call dibs on the first spot in the expansion and WiC2 beta

Quote from [MSV]Mir:
It's the first option (so good news \o/).

you know I've always loved you!
looking forward to doing some tests and see if they're now viable options in 5v5!
Quote from [G4N]Bird of Prey:
What does "target ground has been fixed" mean? Hopefilly that doesn't mean you took away my only viable method of dealing with infantry. Their fault for being in an open field.

It fixed the issue wherein your choppers would fly to the location you set to force fire, rather than firing upon it.

GJ Massive!

I'm still waiting for transportation to be reinstated...

BTW, a question I would really like answered:
The nerf on healing yourself... does that apply ONLY to repair units, or to all of your units? Say I drop two transport trucks to repair my own choppers... is that TA gain nerfed as well?
Quote from Goldair:

Guerrilla warfare. ^^

Aren't they still getting enough ? *sigh*

The fire rate for US and NATO Heavy Artillery has been improved.

The US RoF is high enough! USSR too... O_O

Why isn't the scoring with medium Helicopters increased ?!
best
SnakeByte

[Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 16:08 by [FP^z]SnakeByte.]
great job [MSV] love ya all :o)
Quote from Goldair:
They are the only role that doesn't suck against one type of unit or another. They rape EVERYTHING given a few trees. Thats their role

Quote from [NS]Silver:
Quote from [G4N]Bird of Prey:

It fixed the issue wherein your choppers would fly to the location you set to force fire, rather than firing upon it.
Oh good Iwas scared there because a few infantry guys were asking for attack ground to be nerfedand Dante said he would bring it up with the rest of the team
I call dibs on the first spot in the expansion and WiC2 beta

[Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 15:22 by [G4N]Bird of Prey.]
Nice start, still a ways to go though ;)
Extremely disappointed that we will still have to set custom colours and pick sides every round - that is, as someone I know used to say, sillier than a bum full of smarties (and that is pretty silly let me tell you ;) ) It's a pain to have to struggle every round for our clan to get on the same side.

I was hoping for a couple more of the infantry bugs to be fixed, such as snipers inside buildings, but hopefully there will be a #2 out soon ;)

P.S. can you please clarify on

- Winning a game will now increase the score reported to the leaderboard.
The wording implies that you get a bonus on your leaderboard score (not to be confused with total score or stats) for winning, is this correct?

On an earlier post about padding infantry - infantry are more than capable as it stands now.the only class based balancing issues are a result of bugs (apart from the massive repair scores for support).

- Infantry does not "fly" into position in houses any longer, they fade.
I assume this is just aesthetics?

[Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at Oct 01, 2007 15:36 by -=TRM=-Agouti.]