Imagine if the Soviet Union hadn't collapsed and instead made a decisive advance into Europe. NATO forces clash with the Red Army and a second front is opened up as the Soviets launch an attack on continental United States. You will find yourself taking on the role of a commander in the escalating conflict, controlling the era's most powerful and technologically advanced military hardware. This is what happens in World in Conflict: Soviet Assault.
Developed by Massive Entertainment and published by Ubisoft Entertainment, World in Conflict: Soviet Assault expands on the groundbreaking action-strategy gameplay of 2007â€™s â€śBest Strategy Gameâ€ť, World in Conflict. World in Conflict merges elements of strategy, first-person-shooter and action games â€“ creating a new â€śAction-Strategyâ€ť genre in gaming â€“ a genre that has proven to appeal to all kinds of gamers, from first-person-shooter enthusiasts to strategy purists.
The unique design and universal appeal is what led global media to make World in Conflict the most critically acclaimed strategy game of 2007. The game swept the â€śBest Strategyâ€ť awards during E3 2007, claimed countless â€śEditorâ€™s Choiceâ€ť commendations from the worldâ€™s top reviewers, and was the clear choice as â€śBest Strategy Game of 2007â€ť during the end of year awards season. See World in Conflict® Reviews & Awards.
The Soviet Assault add-on will be released together with the original World in Conflict as a part of the World in Conflict: Complete Edition. Players that already own World in Conflict will have the option to download the Soviet Assault expansion pack exclusively online. World In Conflict Complete Edition and World in Conflict: Soviet Assault are set for release in March 2009.
New features include:
- New Single-Player Campaign: For the first time, play as the Soviet army and follow the global invasion from the perspective of the motherland. World in Conflict: Soviet Assault continues the franchiseâ€™s tradition of gripping, Hollywood-quality voice-over performances, tense and emotional storylines and unbelievable, cinematic storytelling methods.
- New Maps: World in Conflict: Soviet Assaultâ€™s award-winning multiplayer modes get more maps to facilitate the intense team-based battles.
- Action-Focused Gameplay: The gameâ€™s unique design removes base- building, resource gathering and â€śtech treesâ€ť in favor of fast, hard- hitting combat that focuses on tactical decisions â€“ much like an FPS â€“ creating a new genre: Action-Strategy.
- Player Roles: Players chose to command units from Infantry, Armor, Support, or Air roles; multiplayer teams will need to master each role for maximum effectiveness.
- Real World Super-Powered Warfare: Unleash the authentic military arsenals of the great military superpowers, such as tanks, planes, trucks, troops and helicopters -- as well as nuclear weapons -- from the USA, Soviet Union and NATO.
- Cutting-Edge Graphics: The latest version of Massiveâ€™s proprietary Masstech engine features advanced lighting and physics, utilizes the latest DX10 technology, and allows for full 360-degree camera control.
- Complete Destructibility: As the battle rages, the world environment pays the price as houses crumble, forests burn, terrain becomes deformed and the entire environment changes.